Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sturbridge Village

When I travel up to Brimfield for the Antiques Fair, I always stay in Sturbridge Massachusetts. Brimfield is very small and only has a few B&B's that fill up quickly. Sturbridge is very close and has quite a few hotels to choose from. ( plus lots of places to eat :)

This trip I decided I wanted to take a break from shopping one day to check out Old Sturbridge Village. I had never been, or so I thought as I somehow do not remember our family trip there when I was young ;)

I thought it would be fun. Spend a couple hours there, maybe go back to the hotel for a swim then maybe a movie..... No sir. It takes the whole day. I was so much bigger than I thought.


Living on the East coast I have been to my fair share of Colonial villages and such. Sturbridge Village is one of the best.

The people who work here are so nice and I learned something from every one of them. They have broom makers....

Stage coaches....

Oxen.... (how beautiful are they!!!)

Beautiful old houses and gardens......

Potters.....

A glimpse into daily life on a small homestead with actors you can interact with......

A saw mill... (and a Grist mill and a Carding mill)

Horse drawn cart rides....

Tin Smiths, Shoemakers, Gardening demonstrations, an old time general store, boat rides and lots of activities for kids.

I highly recommend a trip :)



Happy Travels,
♥jenny


No comments:

Post a Comment